Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2018

RareJob: Tips for passing the Demo Lesson Part 2

It was my day off and I did some late spring cleaning and I found an old notebook that had my notes during the time I conducted my demo lesson and it had a few helpful tips.

It’s as important to pass the test call and not just the demo lesson. Because if you fail the test call, you will have to reschedule. According to my notes, I almost failed my test call because I had an issue with my microphone.
Hindi ko pala nainsert ng maayos yung headset ko kaya yung internal mic ng laptop ko yung gamit2x ko. Buti na lang sinuggest ng test call conductor na iplug ko ulit tapos gumana na yung mic ng headset.
Ang purpose kasi ng test call ay para ma-check kung ok ba yung equipment mo para walang technical issue pag nag demo lesson ka na.
Iche-check kung gumagana ba yung mic mo. Tapos iinstruct ka rin mag type sa Skype chat box to test kung nakukuha ba ng mic yung ingay pag nagtatype ka kasi nakaka-distract daw yung typing sounds pag malakas.
Iche-check rin yung internet connection mo. Mag iinstruct na mag speed test ka then send mo yung results sa chat box. If ok na lahat and walang issue sa equipment at connection, I-endorse ka na for demo lesson evaluation.

Just click the image to sign-up for RareJob :)
According to my notes, I got lucky because my RareJob evaluator was actually nice. She had a very friendly voice but she maintained a professional tone for the entire demo lesson. I do remember that and I also remembered part of why I was so nervous.
Nag research rin kasi ako online for tips during my application process. Ang rami ko nabasa na strict daw yung mga evaluator and hindi daw nagbibigay ng constructive advice sa feedback. Puro lang daw mga negative comments during the lesson kaya same lang naging performance nila nung pangalawang demo lesson or role play.
Maswerte lang talaga ako na mabait yung evaluator ko! Before the lesson role play, may short introduction muna. She asked me to describe myself, why I want to teach and etc. Then we proceeded with the 1st role play.
Nerve-wracking talaga and “aligaga” pa ako nun! Na mention ko na before na sablay yung 1st  lesson ko so my evaluator had a lot of feedback with my performance. Which I listened to and used to improve my performance for the 2nd lesson.
Note: Your demo lesson evaluator and “student” are the same person. During the demo, he/she will pretend to be a Japanese student. Sometimes he/she might role play as a shy beginner student or an intermediate office worker. It depends so it’s best to prepare yourselves.
o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
Establish rapport or connection
Use the introduction to do this. Don’t just state your name then move on with the lesson! Mention your hobbies and interests. Same with the student. if she only tells you her name, ask her if she has any hobbies and interest and try to sound interested!
Listen to the student
After the student answers the exercise questions, ask her follow-up questions related to her answer. This shows that you’re listening and you’re interested.
Don’t skip questions!
Never skip any exercise questions. Ask all the questions in the lesson material. If the student doesn’t know how to answer or if she’s having a hard time in understanding the question then you have to explain it in simpler terms.
Make the demo lesson student-centered
If you like to talk a lot, you have to refrain during the demo. Because in actual RareJob classes, you will encounter students who love to talk. And some of those students don’t like to be interrupted because they sign up for classes so they can practice their communication skills and they would appreciate it if someone will listen and only correct them during the feedback near the end of class.
Apply the 70/30 talk ratio. Give the student (70%) more opportunity to speak up.
Just click the image to sign up for RareJob :)
Take note of the time!
It’s okay if you extend the allotted time for each segment (ex. long introduction) just as long as you end with a wrap-up and feedback!
Utilize the chat box!
If you correct the student’s sentence, do it verbally after you type it in the chat box.
Ex:
You said: My hobby is traveling and playing basketball.
Correct: My hobbies *are* traveling and playing basketball.
Also do this if you introduce a new word, provide the meaning and sample sentence.
Ex:
Benevolent - kind and helpful
Ex: Giving to charity is a benevolent deed.
Typing everything in the chat box is very important because it’s useful for the student. Actual RareJob students use them to study and review after classes.
No dead air!
This is very important! Dead air or long silences is probably one of the reason a lot of applicants fail. There should be no silence (for at least no more than 5 seconds) during the entire lesson. An actual RareJob class is only 25 minute per lesson slot. So it is very important to maximize the time. Every second counts! 


o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
When the time is up for your 1st lesson or role play, the evaluator will immediately give you his/her feedback. Use this break to focus and listen well! Listen to everything your evaluator is saying! Forget how nervous you feel and prepare yourself instead!
If you can, write down notes! Especially the areas you need to improve on according to the feedback.
In my case, I was correcting the student too much instead of listening to her answers. That resulted in me forgetting the time limit and I wasn’t able to fully follow the lesson flow (no wrap-up or feedback!).
I also wasn’t able to utilize the chat box. I was able to provide sample sentences but I didn’t type it in the chat box.
I was really nervous during the 1st role play and I was aware that I performed terribly so I focused and applied the feedback I got for the 2nd role play.
Dapat gamitin niyo yung 2nd demo lesson to improve your performance kasi yun yung 2nd and last chance niyo. Dun makikita nung evaluator kung nakikinig ba kayo sa instructions kasi yung mga RareJob lesson materials puno ng instructions on how to conduct each and every exercise portion of a specific material. Iba-iba kung paano I-handle yung classes so dapat magaling ka mag follow ng instructions.
Also sa 2nd role play tinitingnan rin kung paano mo mai-aapply yung feedback na binigay sa iyo. Gagamitin mo ba yun para I-improve yung performance mo o babalewalain mo na lang at hindi mo pakikinggan?  
Before joining RareJob, I didn’t have any professional teaching experience whatsoever. But, I focused, I prepared and I did my best. And I guess I also got lucky! It’s almost 2 years since I’ve been teaching with RareJob and it has been a really great experience so far. The pay is okay (it could be better!) but teaching and learning with my students is really fun and surprisingly really fulfilling as well.
Ang saya-saya pag nakikita mo kung gaano nag improve yung students mo especially if within a short amount of time and pag ini-express nila kung gaano sila ka-grateful sayo dahil you helped them during the learning process.
So, I hope the tips I gave will help you pass the demo lesson and become a RareJob tutor like me.
If you have any questions for me about the process, just post your comments below or you can email me @ dbs.wenwen@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...