Pages

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Current Obsession: Liar Game Series


Who knew that a show I watched completely out of boredom would turn out to be one of my favorite shows (ever!!) and ultimately my favorite Japanese Drama or Dorama (of all time!).

watched the first episode because I really had nothing better to do and before I knew it, I got hooked just 2 episodes in and there was no going back.
Warning: Contains spoilers!!!



Since I started watching it last week, other than my usual daily activities, all I've been doing is re-watching and thinking about is the show; its characters, the games, the story and of course, Matsuda Shota!!! It took me just 5 days to watch the entire franchise and yes that includes all the specials.

I know it's based from the manga of the same name but I don't plan on reading it, no matter how often I keep hearing that the manga is far better than the live show, simply because mangas are just not my thing. I also know that this a very flawed show and it's not a masterpiece but despite all the imperfections, I still love it.



Liar Game Season 1 (11 episodes)

Season 1 is arguably the best out of the 3 and my pick for the most rewatchable season and to date, I've rewatched it 4 times already. It also has many of my favorite, funny scenes like:

The S and M scene:



I've replayed this scene countless of times and I still laugh each time; that bewildered look on Akiyama's face is freaking priceless.

Season 1 is not without a few hiccups though; it took a bit of getting used to the constant individual reaction shots and a few sloppy editing cuts, not to mention the almost 3 hour season finale episode which majority of it was just a recap of the entire season. But my love for this show's OSTs definitely made me gloss over those hiccups.



As for the characters; a lot of people hated Nao because of her naivety and blind faith in people, but I never did, yeah she did frustrate me at the start but I always understood her character and maybe it's also because of how Toda Erika earnestly portrayed her. It goes without saying but, like majority of those who watched the show, I love Akiyama for many reasons to mention other than he was played by Matsuda Shota.


Liar Game Season 2 (9 episodes and Liar Game Movie: The Final Stage) + (Episode Zero and Liar Game X)

Season 2 is the continuation of the first but with the added two-year time jump, it consisted of 9 episodes and the full length-movie that served as the conclusion of Nao's story with the added 2 specials (a prequel and a teaser for The Final Stage).

I love this season although not as much as the previous because it got a bit repetitive and trite, but it's still very much rewatchable and just like Season 1, each episode is as addicting as the next one.

What I loved about this season is the character development, namely Nao's, and how the games are more clever and imaginative than before. I also love the new opening credits and how it fits more with the tone of the show.



The specials can be skipped because they didn't really add anything new to the story that we didn't already know; the prequel (Episode Zero) shows how Nao was already so naive and gullible even as a pre-teen (where we also find out that she has already met Eto before), while we see how Akiyama took down Yokoya's MLM company as revenge for his mom's death.

As for the other special (Episode X), it's just basically the first few minutes of what we saw in the movie when Nao was persuaded to join the final game to help Akiyama. Although Episode X might be worth the watch if you want to see Akiyama say the F word. (That's the word he used to describe the Liar Game, which is quite apt).


As for the movie (The Final Stage), it's a definite must-watch because it not only served as the conclusion for the heroine's story but it was also an awesome movie in general. It was mildly predictable and a bit fanservice-y (in the romance department) but it was fun to watch and overall it gave a satisfying end to a very enjoyable ride that was Season 2.

Although i'm a bit sad that the romance between Nao and Akiyama was near non-existent and was only repeatedly teased at only because Erika and Shota had so much chemistry on (and off) screen, that I badly wanted their characters to just kiss already. (Yup! I also became a hardcore Nao/Akiyama shipper but because that ship didn't sail, I'm now intensely shipping Erika/Shota).


Liar Game Season 3 (Liar Game Movie: Reborn) + (Alice in Liar Game and Fukunaga Vs Yokoya)

It was obvious that Season 3 was made just to milk the franchise more and it worked because the Reborn movie did so well that it spawned a spin-off and a special (which are both skippable).

The movie itself was okay but it definitely lacked something and that was clearly Toda Erika/Nao Kanzaki. No matter how much I still loved Akiyama (and his awesomeness) here, he had a better chemistry and rapport with Nao in one episode (of previous seasons) than he ever did with the new girl (who I didn't even bother to remember the name) in the entire movie. She was so dull and uninteresting that I didn't care what happens to her in the end (same with the other new characters).

It was also disappointing that Nao wasn't even mentioned once and my delusional (shipping) self was hoping that there would be some kind of reference or clue hinting that maybe she and Akiyama ended up together after the events in Season 2. 


The game (musical chairs, really?) was so laughably executed that I zoned out and only focused on the scenes when Akiyama (or Fukunaga) was on screen. Not to mention that the plot itself was inconsistent and uninspired. The Liar Game Organization revived the game to exact revenge on Akiyama but expectedly he won and the Organization just gave up even when so much emphasis on their revenge was heavily focused in the beginning.

I had only watched Reborn once and i'm not itching to rewatch it again which just goes to show how it differs from The Final Stage (which I already rewatched countless of times).

Even the specials were dull, the backstory of Alice was just like Akiyama's; both their moms were naive and trusting so they got deceived (by swindlers) and both committed suicide to pay off their loans using their death insurances.

As for the other special (Fukunaga Vs Yokoya), it was clear as day that it was Yokoya who was gonna win the game and it could have been worth the watch if the game they played (Taboo game) was even remotely exciting or fun. But on the upside, Yokoya finally got his revenge (from Fukunaga's betrayal) after 5 long years.

---------------

I'm still experiencing massive withdrawal from this show that no amount of rewatching can easily cure but knowing that the Korean remake (with the same title) is just weeks away from airing certainly helps. (Oct 20, come faster!!!)


I'm sure it's gonna take a while (maybe even a very long time) to find another Dorama or atleast another show like this, the kind of show that makes me constantly think and actually care for the story and its characters. A show that made me love both lead actors, Erika Toda and Matsuda Shota so much that I binge-watch their past dramas (namely: Love Shuffle, Meitantei no Okite, the SPEC series and many more). A show so addictive that I just want to erase it from my mind so that I could experience watching it again for the very first time.


Ahhh, Liar Game? What have you done to me?

*offstorewatchentireseriesagain*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...