Pages

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Metro Manila Film Festival 2014 official entries *cringe*


Just when I thought that MMFF cannot set the bar any lower, they once again managed to surprise me. Just looking at the list of entries for this year’s film fest makes me uncomfortably cringe.


The 8 Official Entries to the MMFF 2014:

*cringe*


Kubot: The Aswang Chronicles 2 (Reality Ent, GMA Films and Agostodos Pictures)
Starring Dingdong Dantes, Lovi Poe

I was in awe of The 1st Aswang Chronicle (Tiktik) solely because of the visual effects. Unfortunately the lack of a coherent story and awfully-written characters brought the whole movie down. If the production team can manage to retain the visuals and replace the scriptwriter with someone who can actually write a sensical plot then I would give this sequel a chance.


Bonifacio, Gusto Mo Ba Syang Makilala? (Philippians Productions)
Starring Robin Padilla, Iza Calzado

This might be the only movie I’m actually looking forward to. I had regained my once-lost loyalty for Robin Padilla with last year’s critically-acclaimed hit and 2013 MMFF’S Best Picture ‘10,000 hours’ and although it’s hard to picture him as Andres Bonifacio, the Father of Philippine revolution, I have complete faith that he’ll do justice for the role. I just really have a soft spot for biopics and I’m hoping that this would turn out to be a great film and potentially a Best Picture?


Magnum Muslim .357 (Scenema Concept)
Starring ER Ejercito, Denise Laurel

ER really wants that ‘Best Actor’ award, doesn’t he? This is his 4th MMFF film in a row as the leading actor. I loved ‘Asiong Salonga’, liked ‘El Presidente’ and disliked ‘Boy Golden’ so with this pattern, am I gonna detest ‘Magnum’? and Will ER finally get the 'Best Actor' award?


Praybeyt Benjamin 2 (ABS-CBN Productions and VIVA Productions)
Starring Vice Ganda

Sigh! I actually really liked the first one, it was funny and entertaining but I’ve long outgrown Vice Ganda’s usual jab at himself as a pass for comedy gold. I stopped watching his last year’s MMFF entry ‘Girl Boy Bakla Tomboy’ just after 10 minutes but it went on to be a box-office success which prompted the MMFF committee to award it as the 2nd Best Picture. I’m still shaking my head at the fact that GBBT is our country’s highest-grossing film of all time! *cringe*


Feng Shui 2 (ABS-CBN Productions and VIVA Productions)
Starring Kris Aquino, Coco Martin, Kim Chiu,

I might be a horrible person for saying this but I admit that I want this one to flop so hard that it might make Kris Aquino finally stop producing such low-quality films as another outlet for parading her endless list of product endorsements.



My Big Bossing's Adventures (Octoarts, MZET, APT Ent)
Starring Ryzza Mae Dizon, Vic Sotto

Why? For the love of all that is good and holy, why?
Answer: Money! It’s always about the money.
*cringe*


Shake, Rattle & Roll 15 (Regal Entertainment)
Starring Dennis Trillo, Carla Abellana

Good for Regal for trying to resurrect this franchise again, but I hope all segments are equally good. Ever since the 2007, one segment excellently stands out while the other 2 badly fairs in comparison.


English Only Please (Quantum Films)
Starring Angeline Quinto, Sam Milby

Angeline Quinto? Pass! In a romantic comedy for MMFF? Double Pass! With Sam Milby? Triple Pass!

And there you have it, the 8 movies which will try to dupe us of our hard-earned money and on Christmas day, no less.

But on the bright side, BB Gandanghari’s atrociously-titled ‘Bonggangsters’ is nowhere near the list but so is Nora Aunor’s ‘Whistle-blower’ which could have potentially become a great film…..ahhh! Curse you MMFF!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...